09-18-2016, 08:21 PM
So, I went to the autocross in Verona today and took a freshmen, got him some ride-alongs, and even taught him to drive stick. Listening to those Miatas there with nice exhausts, then hearing mine so much over the course of the day made me realize my dire need for better sound. A CAI is out of the question because it knocks me out of the Street class, and an exhaust was out of the question because I'm trying not to spend money this year so I can continue to actually have days off of work, so I invited some MM'ers over to drink beer and help me make bad decisions. I told them "I want to do hood rat stuff with my friends" and before you know it, we had 5 dudes in the parking lot in front of my house helping me take the exhaust off of my car. It turns out that NA6's (some) have a removable axle back, and so do NB's, but NA8's don't for some odd reason. You have to pull off the entire muffler, mid pipe, resonator, and cats all the way basically up to the headers... so we did.
[youtube]7s2LmIMwvEM[/youtube]
Doing so immediately caused everyone on the street to come outside and ask what the hell was going on. I decided against the pleas of my companions that this was too loud, so I drank some more beer, walked inside and grabbed my sawzall.
![[Image: dnnWWpw.jpg]](http://i.imgur.com/dnnWWpw.jpg)
The results: Not bad, but also not good, but fun enough to have us laughing our asses off while bombing down 33 for a second.
No, I don't plan to leave it like this, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. Either I'm delusional, or some people really manage to fuck up Miata exhausts, because it still has decent tone with just a cat and resonator, it's just loud. Also it rattled against the diff and/or frame rail, so we tied it to the PPF with a coat hanger.
[youtube]7s2LmIMwvEM[/youtube]
Doing so immediately caused everyone on the street to come outside and ask what the hell was going on. I decided against the pleas of my companions that this was too loud, so I drank some more beer, walked inside and grabbed my sawzall.
![[Image: dnnWWpw.jpg]](http://i.imgur.com/dnnWWpw.jpg)
The results: Not bad, but also not good, but fun enough to have us laughing our asses off while bombing down 33 for a second.
No, I don't plan to leave it like this, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. Either I'm delusional, or some people really manage to fuck up Miata exhausts, because it still has decent tone with just a cat and resonator, it's just loud. Also it rattled against the diff and/or frame rail, so we tied it to the PPF with a coat hanger.
Current:
2011 F150 Platinum | 1995 BMW 325i | 1983 BMW 320i | The MMoped | 2008 BMW 128i
Past:
1996 Toyota Tacoma: | 1992 Mazda Miata | 2002 BMW 325i |
2003 Toyota Tacoma | 1995 Miata M Edition | 1997 Subaru Outback |
1992 Mazda Miata | 1990 BMW 325i | 2007 Toyota 4Runner |
1995 Ford Windstar | 1987 BMW 325i | 1987 BMW 325 | 1990 BMW 325i Vert |
2018 VW GTI | 1990 Mazda Miata | 1989 BMW 325i Vert | 2015 Fiesta ST | 1983 BMW 320i parts car
2011 F150 Platinum | 1995 BMW 325i | 1983 BMW 320i | The MMoped | 2008 BMW 128i
Past:
1996 Toyota Tacoma: | 1992 Mazda Miata | 2002 BMW 325i |
2003 Toyota Tacoma | 1995 Miata M Edition | 1997 Subaru Outback |
1992 Mazda Miata | 1990 BMW 325i | 2007 Toyota 4Runner |
1995 Ford Windstar | 1987 BMW 325i | 1987 BMW 325 | 1990 BMW 325i Vert |
2018 VW GTI | 1990 Mazda Miata | 1989 BMW 325i Vert | 2015 Fiesta ST | 1983 BMW 320i parts car
