Your Financial Institution - Why it Rocks
#61
Middleburg Bank is a pretty well established and funded smaller bank. They're starting to become very competitive with mortgages as well with the way some of the big players the mortgage industry have begun to fall out.

My checks were directly from those companies because those were some of the stocks that I sold. IIRC they used brokage companies to manage their private party stock holdings (like Equiserve and some other companies) but the checks had both Coca Cola and the name of that company on them ... again IIRC. It's been a while since I've sold any stocks.
Posting in the banalist of threads since 2004

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Past: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab / 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
  Reply
#62
They are indeed. Much like Sandy Spring National in Maryland, a smallish but successful bank already public.

Now that I think about it...it makes sense about the checks since I don't think Wachovia really had a securities arm. I guess that's why they bought Prudential.

BTW, congrats on the new house. I find my home improvement work more rewarding than car stuff. (maybe cuz i know i'll get the money back)
Current: 1985 LS1 Corvette | 2014 328i Wagon F31
Former: 2010 Ford Edge | 1999 Integra GS
I have a little bit of a rub near lock but if you are turned to lock on a track there are other problems already...
  Reply
#63
Evan Wrote:
Apoc Wrote:wow that sucked

a lazy response
haiku critic you are not
go eat a twinkie

I'm in Bangalore
Twinkies they do not have here
Curry ass for me
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944

"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
  Reply
#64
Back from the dead... I was thinking about my favorite uses for my iPhone (thanks to that Mac vs. PC thread): the USAA banking app is frickin' awesome. Whereas before I could deposit checks via scanner attached to a computer, now I can deposit checks through the USAA iPhone app, using the built-in camera. I sold a computer to a friend, and he paid me in a few installments. We met for lunch one day, he gave me a check, and I deposited it right there in front of him, in 30 seconds.
My two feet.
  Reply
#65
that is f'ing sweet x 1 million. i HATE going to the bank. i might need to join them... my grandfather (deceased) was in the navy, will that get me in?

i've been using etrade since when i began investing they had the highest savings rates around. well, those rates have dwindled to some of the lowest around, but i've been sticking with them due to my investment, checking, and savings all being in the same place. sooo... i can't really recommend them any longer. i'm off to check usaa's rates and rules!
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
#66
As bad as BoA is on the lending side, their personal finance stuff is pretty awesome. Not as awesome as that app for USAA but I like the fact I can deposit a load of checks or cash all at once at any ATM around here. Their online bill pay and money tracking is great too, especially since I have my mortgage linked through it.
Posting in the banalist of threads since 2004

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Past: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab / 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
  Reply
#67
So not exactly a financial institution, but is anyone else here using mint.com?

if you don't know - it basically dumps all of your various account's transactions into one "database". I hated using quicken or whatever and having to download transactions from 7-8 accounts and then there was no easy way to track expenditures across accounts. Mint does all of this. You can't perform any actual transactions through it (transfers, etc.) but as far as budgeting, trending, etc. its SCHAAWeet.

It gets a thumbs up from me.
  Reply
#68
JohnC Wrote:Back from the dead... I was thinking about my favorite uses for my iPhone (thanks to that Mac vs. PC thread): the USAA banking app is frickin' awesome. Whereas before I could deposit checks via scanner attached to a computer, now I can deposit checks through the USAA iPhone app, using the built-in camera. I sold a computer to a friend, and he paid me in a few installments. We met for lunch one day, he gave me a check, and I deposited it right there in front of him, in 30 seconds.

that is awesome. i use the Deposit @ home feature all the time. so much that i prefer not to receive cash payments for whatever i'm getting the payment for

Mike Wrote:that is f'ing sweet x 1 million. i HATE going to the bank. i might need to join them... my grandfather (deceased) was in the navy, will that get me in?

Check with the stipulations of using the Deposit @ Home feature. I think you may have to be a memeber for X amount of years? I thought i read that, but i could be wrong.

It's an incredible feature that's well worth it.
'19 Golf R

Intro
J Ray's Top Ten

Previous: '99 BMW Z3 2.8L | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | 2010 VW GTI | 2008 CBR 600RR | 2005 Nissan Titan SE King | 2003 Honda CBR 600RR | 1998 Integra RS | 1998 Suzuki GS500e | 1999 Honda Civic Si | 1986 VW GTI 8v
  Reply
#69
was with BOA, now my wife works for Wachovia, so we switched. Can't complain. We will see if Wells Fargo changes things in a couple of years.
  Reply
#70
WRXtranceformed Wrote:My checks were directly from those companies because those were some of the stocks that I sold. IIRC they used brokage companies to manage their private party stock holdings (like Equiserve and some other companies) but the checks had both Coca Cola and the name of that company on them ... again IIRC. It's been a while since I've sold any stocks.

Your checks were not from Coca Cola. Coca Cola (even if you were using their Re-investment Plan) uses a bank as a transfer agent and recordkeeper. Your check would have come from them. Likely candidates are Bank of NY or Pershing LLC. They handle 80% of all stock transactions whether done through a broker or not. Still odd that the bank was going to hold your money for more than 10 days, even if you are a new client.......

Wachovia, B of A and Chevy Chase (now Capital One) all have their detractions, for me it comes down to the branch I use. Yes I am one of those old-school types that deals with a few people at my branch. Then again, I have Capital Requirements I have to meet and have all my business accounts with one bank. I am greeted by name when I walk in and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. We all need to feel warm and fuzzy now and then......

I also use the NFCU......
"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Ole - (pronounced O-Lee) See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_(name)

http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com (New site up and running - Thanks Apoc)
  Reply
#71
Ole Wrote:I am greeted by name when I walk in and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. We all need to feel warm and fuzzy now and then......

I am greeted by name when I log into their website or use an ATM. :lol:
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944

"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
  Reply


Forum Jump: