08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Goodspeed Wrote:I know many of you have said "I've always said yes when someone asks for a ride" etc which is great, but don't wait for them to come to you. New members are shy and don't know wtf is going on, so go to them and offer a ride, scare them a little bit, and they'll be hooked!I'm all about helping out people whenever I can, but you can't help someone out who's not willing to step forward. You can't get someone to come out and try a new experience if they're not willing to make that first step. I remember a post from Aaron recently asking Laura about getting current students involved. As I said in that post, if they want to get involved they need to put the effort forth and contact people, do so early, and not wait till the last minute. It's not hard to pre-plan for something you want to do, and if I know someone's making the effort I'm going to lend them a hand. What I have 0 patience or sympathy for is the people who wait till the last minute and then are like "oh I really wanted to work that event" or "oh I'm signed up but I need a ride". The OG's, Alumni, and the non JMU MMers( such as myself, Navin, Seddon, Apoc), we all know what we want to do and when something comes up we sign up asap, we don't sit around on our hands debating.
In short, if interested parties make a little effort initially you'll see the more established members put in a lot more effort to help them out.
Note: this isn't a slam against current students, just meant as an informative post.
