Br'er Rabbit - 2007 DRZ400s
Welcome to an exciting new chapter in my motorcycle ownership. I've been thinking for awhile now that I'd like to get a dual sport bike. Seems to align more to my usage for motorcycles and to add as skill to riding resume. I had been actively searching for a bike, but needed to sell the SV first. I'll spare the purchase details, but the SV was sold last Saturday and Ryan and I headed out last night to check this little thumper out.

The guy we met was very nice and a avid motorsports enthusiast. He picked this up last year to trail ride with his friend who then decided no longer wanted to trail ride and focus solely on racing so he lost interested. 

It's a 2007 DRZ400 "S" model with about 7900 miles on it. It's also one of my favorite factory Suzuki colors. Blue and white. Over the last year the guy rebuilt the carb, installed a KTM'esque headlight, Yamaha fender, FMF exhaust, re-jet, 3x3 mod, Bark Busters, bash plate, Renthal controls, new tires, and a new battery. It looked to be well cared for and not beat on so we struck a deal and she's now tucked away in the garage.

It's basically turn-key right now. There is a lowering link kit installed so I have a OEM linkage on the way to return it to factory height. Once that's done I can properly adjust the suspension for my weight. At the 8,000 mile mark I'll likely change the oil, flush the radiator, check the spark plug, and valves. 

Otherwise it's good to go! I'll be keeping a list of Maintenance and mods up-to-date below like my SV thread. I'm looking forward to doing some bike-packing this summer. Basically loading up my hammock, bottle of bourbon, and back-packing stove to chill in the GWNF.

2007 DRZ400s
Mileage at Purchase: 7,909
Current Mileage: 8,864

Maintenance and Mods:
  • OEM Dog bone linkage installed, chain clean & lube, suspension tuned for baseline - 8,036 (6/28/2019)
  • Coolant flush and changed to Engine Ice - 8,080 (6/29/2019)
  • Gear shift level fix - 8,080 (7/2/2019)
  • Spark plug change and valve clearance check - 8,093 (7/4/2019)
  • Oil & Air filter change - 8,094 (7/5/2019)
  • Extended fuel screw & jetting update - 8,650 (8/8/19)
  • Seat Concepts, Stainless front brake line, MCCT install - 8754 (8/14/19)

[Image: Lw0BT1y.jpg]

[Image: 4k9G4wd.jpg]
Why is literally every bike lowered... Like why is that a thing. I'm short as hell and I'd never think to lower a bike. Especially a off road bike...

"Oh Suzuki spent millions of dollars and countless hours r and d'ing this suspension. Yea but Carl spent an hour developing this bad ass piece of metal that completely destroys the geometry of it all but I'll look less like a noob when I roll to a stop and don't know how to balance my Hayabusa"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
2004 Honda S2000
2001 F-150 4X4 6" lift on 37" tires
2007 GSX-R 600
2008 SX-R 800

1992 (slammed by PO) 240sx Coupe (SOLD)
1999 BMW POS ///M3(SOLD)
1998 Honda Civic EX beater (SOLD)
(06-21-2019, 07:34 PM)Sully Wrote: Why is literally every bike lowered... Like why is that a thing. I'm short as hell and I'd never think to lower a bike. Especially a off road bike...

"Oh Suzuki spent millions of dollars and countless hours r and d'ing this suspension. Yea but Carl spent an hour developing this bad ass piece of metal that completely destroys the geometry of it all but I'll look less like a noob when I roll to a stop and don't know how to balance my Hayabusa"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You been drinking? LOL. Yea it's a minor detail that is easily corrected. I ended up buying a complete linkage/dog-bone assembly from a 2012 bike so if anything I'm just refreshing that part and somebody else can buy the one I pull off with the lowering links.

In other news I road last night and boy does the light output on this headlight SUUUUCKKKKKK. It was ok riding in the city, because streetlights, but anywhere remote and I probably wouldn't be able to see my hand in front of me. I'm gonna have to see if I can upgrade the bulb.
Thinking over some initial observations and building out my "to-do" list based on riding the last week.

To-Do's:
  1. Swap Kouba Lowering Link for OEM Linkage - Installed 6/28/19
  2. Set rear sag
  3. Set front and rear compression + rebound - Set 6/28/19
  4. Inspect + replace coolant - Replaced 6/29/19
  5. Oil Change (oil + filter) -Replace 7/5/19
  6. Replace air filter - Replaced 7/5/19
  7. Inspect + replace spark plug (This could possibly drive a jetting change) - Replace 7/4/19
  8. Inspect valve clearances - Inspected 7/5/19
  9. Re-wire front headlight for full low/high beam
  10. Inspect front turn signal (randomly went out) - Fixed
  11. Purchase and install extended fuel mixture screw - Installed 7/19/19
  12. Side Stand Switch Removal - Removed 7/19/19
  13. Clutch Switch By-pass
  14. Inspect and grease rear swing arm

Future Nice to Haves:
  1. Rear rack
  2. Phone mount with charger - Installed
  3. Case Covers - Installed
  4. Large foot pegs
Chipping away at the bike. Installed the OEM linkage which brought the rear end back up 2" for much needed travel with my 200lbs on the bike. Set the rebound, compression, and dampening on the F/R to accomodate my rider weight. I also flushed out the old coolant which looked basically new for Engine Ice. Cheap insurance.

Maintenance parts ordered and hoping to complete over the holiday weekend. Mainly extra filters and oil change kit, but also threw in some extra goodies like case shields to protect the engine case in the event of a fall and allen head replacement bolts for the carb float bowl. Supposedly the OEM ones easily strip and this was cheap insurance. Once everything comes in I will be able to pull the carb and confirm the jets/needle position as well as check the valve clearances for spec.

Order Summary
--------------------------
- ThumperTalk DRZ Case Shields - Combo Pack w/ RTV Adhesive
- ThumperTalk DRZ400S/SM Extended Fuel Mixture Screw
- Pro Filter Ready-to-Use Pre-Oiled Air Filter
- Mikuni Carburetor Float Bowl Bolt Kit
- ThumperTalk DRZ 400 Oil Change Kit
- HiFlo Oil Filter
From factory the DRZ400 gear shift lever has a sharp protruding section of metal. When the bike is dropped or crashed it can concentrate the impact on a small area of the magneto case and contribute to case damage/cracking. This is mostly negated by running case savers (on their way), but it's still a good practice. Quick work with a Dremel grinding bit.

[Image: 4oK5knG.jpg]

[Image: JM7t4Mh.jpg]
Mileage 8,093

Worked through the last components of the maintenance baseline to include spark plug change, Valve clearance check, oil change, and air filter change. 

Based on the spark plug the bike looks to be running slightly rich. Moto heads what say you? I have an extended fuel mixture screw to install so my plan is to get that in there to allow me to tune that. 

[Image: EV7TiVC.jpg]

Pulled the valve cover and the valves are all within spec, albeit towards the lower end. I will check them again at the next oil change (~1000 miles) to see if they move anymore or they have settled in. I'm hoping it's the latter.

[Image: T3xoumc.jpg]

[Image: wVt2DsZ.jpg]

Ride Report - Nickel & Dime Ride

All the maintenance was done and I got to take it out for a good long ride on Sunday. I did the "Nickel & Dime" ride which is basically Route 5 east all the way to Williamsburg, cross the river at the Jamestown Ferry, and then west on Route 10 to get home. I stopped at Aleworks in Williamsburg for a beer before rolling out to catch the ferry. Man was it a scorcher, but the bike seemed to chug along just fine. I'm enjoying the dual-sport capability as I was able to follow some random signs to an "RC Airplane" runway and ended up on a long dirt road to the Shirley Plantation. Just a different riding experience overall, but it's a good little bike with plenty of pep!

[Image: rBz1xM8.png]

[Image: cm8MFyc.jpg]

[Image: 4CW1iap.jpg]

[Image: oMqwlVs.jpg]
that ride looks like so much fun. do you have a camelbak on you, or some other hydration pack? can't imagine riding on top of an engine in that heat.

(07-08-2019, 09:51 AM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: Based on the spark plug the bike looks to be running slightly rich.

no moto head but the ground strap looks fine - color turn is right at the bend in the strap which is where it should be. ceramic looks bright which is good. plug threads are a little sooty so maybe a tad rich, but rich is safe. i'd leave it alone.

inside of the head looks mega clean. nice!
2010 Civic Si
2019 4Runner TRD Off-Road
Past:  03 Xterra SE 4x4  |  05 Impreza 2.5RS  |  99.5 A4 Quattro 1.8T  |  01 Accord EX  |  90 Maxima GXE  |  96 Explorer XLT
That plug is fine. Assuming stock pipe and air filter and it runs well, you probably dont need to do anything here.

The fuel mixture screw you're looking at will only change the fuel mix at idle - your pilot, main, slide profile, needle profile are the black magic of making it all work the rest of the time.
(09-25-2019, 03:18 PM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: I think you need to see a mental health professional.
(07-08-2019, 10:20 AM)ScottyB Wrote: that ride looks like so much fun.  do you have a camelbak on you, or some other hydration pack?  can't imagine riding on top of an engine in that heat.

(07-08-2019, 09:51 AM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: Based on the spark plug the bike looks to be running slightly rich.

no moto head but the ground strap looks fine - color turn is right at the bend in the strap which is where it should be.  ceramic looks bright which is good.  plug threads are a little sooty so maybe a tad rich, but rich is safe.  i'd leave it alone.

inside of the head looks mega clean.  nice!

Sure do Scotty. You can see it there resting against the back tire. It was definitely needed in the heat and the ferry crossing was a well deserved break in the shade and breeze!
V1GiLaNtE Wrote:Sure do Scotty. You can see it there resting against the back tire. It was definitely needed in the heat and the ferry crossing was a well deserved break in the shade and breeze!

ha, wow not sure how i missed that...mine's even the same color.
2010 Civic Si
2019 4Runner TRD Off-Road
Past:  03 Xterra SE 4x4  |  05 Impreza 2.5RS  |  99.5 A4 Quattro 1.8T  |  01 Accord EX  |  90 Maxima GXE  |  96 Explorer XLT
(07-08-2019, 10:50 AM).RJ Wrote: That plug is fine.  Assuming stock pipe and air filter and it runs well, you probably dont need to do anything here.

The fuel mixture screw you're looking at will only change the fuel mix at idle - your pilot, main, slide profile, needle profile are the black magic of making it all work the rest of the time.

Nothing stock about it:

FMF Powerbomb Header
FMF Pipe
3x3 Box mod
Jetting kit
Hi-flow air filter (just installed)

I need to look into it more because the bike is starting to have a hanging idle. Additionally, it's got A LOT of popping on decel where it will occasionally stall coasting into a stoplight with the clutch in. Sorta of like it ran out of gas. The RPMs will dip really low, again like it's running out of gas. Otherwise the bike rips through the gears. I've tried adjusting the idle speed, but have not noticed it making much of a difference. TBD on whether the adjuster isn't working or what. 

I need to check to make sure there isn't a vacuum leak somewhere. Most common issue points to fuel mixture, but want to rule out the low hanging fruit first.
Yeah you are running lean there, no question. Spray some brake cleaner around the boots/carb when the idle is hanging and then see if it brings the idle down, if not then you need to dig further.

Ideally, if someone else has figured out the 'recipe' of the above slide/needle/jet/idle mix adjustments then copy that - I'm presuming since its a pretty common motor that the info is out there. The "Jetting Kit" may not be appropriate for all the mods, too, many of them are garbage. Just keep in mind with carbamaphone tuning that the fueling is relative to throttle position and not engine speed. If its only having issue at idle and decel with throttle closed then you may be on the right track with the idle mix - but those have a window of effective adjustment - usually 1-2.5 turns - outside of that you should change your pilot jet - and check the float height, too, too low on the float can cause you to run lean.

I'd start with this - put a new plug in, and fire it up. Dont touch the throttle at all, let it run and warm up - 5-10 minutes - dont touch the throttle - shut it down and read the plug. You'll see if your idle mix is on point or not, adjust the idle mix screw as needed, repeat. Once you get that dialed then figure out pay attention to where its causing rideability issues on the road....

[Image: jet-chart.jpg]
(09-25-2019, 03:18 PM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: I think you need to see a mental health professional.
(07-08-2019, 12:54 PM).RJ Wrote: Yeah you are running lean there, no question.  Spray some brake cleaner around the boots/carb when the idle is hanging and then see if it brings the idle down, if not then you need to dig further.  

Ideally, if someone else has figured out the 'recipe' of the above slide/needle/jet/idle mix adjustments then copy that - I'm presuming since its a pretty common motor that the info is out there.  The "Jetting Kit" may not be appropriate for all the mods, too, many of them are garbage.  Just keep in mind with carbamaphone tuning that the fueling is relative to throttle position and not engine speed.  If its only having issue at idle and decel with throttle closed then you may be on the right track with the idle mix - but those have a window of effective adjustment - usually 1-2.5 turns - outside of that you should change your pilot jet - and check the float height, too, too low on the float can cause you to run lean.  

I'd start with this - put a new plug in, and fire it up.  Dont touch the throttle at all, let it run and warm up - 5-10 minutes - dont touch the throttle - shut it down and read the plug.  You'll see if your idle mix is on point or not, adjust the idle mix screw as needed, repeat.  Once you get that dialed then figure out pay attention to where its causing rideability issues on the road....

The PO stated the bike is appropriately jetted for the mods installed. It's a pretty common mod combo. The only way to confirm is to pull the carb and check jets. Based on the "feel" of the bike under load I'm inclined to believe he is correct. There is no bogging or surging anywhere in the powerband. The fuel mixture should be 2.5 turns out for the DRZ and associated mods. So by pulling the carb I can confirm the jets AND install the extended fuel mixture screw. You are correct in that I may need to change the pilot jet if no changes. I will likely clean the carb as well before putting it back on the bike. It may even be worth it just to replace the pilot/main jets with the same size, but new to rule out any gunk build up. Cheap fix. 

I should note I may also check the throttle free play. There is no resistance and it freely snaps back into place. However, part of me wonders if it's just the brutal VA humidity and heat and I really only need to adjust my fuel mixture as such.
Replacing the jets may not be a horrible idea - a lot of the 'jet kits' labeled sizes arent accurate, unfortunately, so getting Keihin or Mikuni (or whatever) OE jets removes any questions about their sizing. Sounds like you're on the right track though.
Ride Report - Random Charlottesville loop

Swapped out the 25 Pilot Jet for a 27.5. Bikes seems to be less "poppy" and easier to adjust on the idle and mixture. Well, good enough excuse to go out for a long ride. Stopped in at Three Notch'd and randomly got to meet up with a buddy and his wife at Lake Monticello for a little sun. I really want to get some sumo wheels/tires for this thing. It may only have 36hp, but it's an absolute riot to blast around the back roads at 60mph. Bike is crazy light and really flickable however the front brakes are really lacking. The lever feel is plenty firm, but brake fad is a real thing. I think a stainless line upgrade and pads will do the trick for this thing. 

[Image: BsBIZj3.png]

[Image: dto4r5S.jpg]

[Image: zLxsBcW.jpg]
Some must have mods installed over the past week. It's been about 2 months of ownership and I've put ~1000 miles on the bike. All of which have been just a hoot riding around town and blasting out to the country.

Seat Concepts Seat was installed for longer rides and comfort. Guys carry on and on about how much this makes all the difference and holy shit they were right. So much more support and all those thumper vibes don't get transmitted through the seat anymore. Picked this up second hand and well worth the money!

[Image: xrXZUNe.jpg]

[Image: Qswq9N1.jpg]

[Image: T4bRvbR.jpg]

MooseRacing stainless front brake line. Original front line was probably original. LOTS of line expansion and brake fade under heavy braking even in traffic. Straightforward mod combined with Motul brake fluid has completely eliminated the brake fade.

ThumperTalk Manual Chain Cam Tensioner. Supposedly post 2003 Suzuki mostly fixed this issue, but there are other models in the line up that share a similar design which have failed. This was cheap $50 insurance that mine wouldn't fail. 

[Image: gq8vFXN.jpg]

Other than that it's just been your usual hoonery with the friends.
[Image: u4RkfFS.jpg]

[Image: dgZieal.jpg]

[Image: nARB2Ro.jpg]