A Deer Destroyed My Ducati
So last Saturday I left home at around 8:15 to head out to the car show. By around 9 am I was on 66W and had just passed Haymarket. I was at the front of a group of cars doing about 65-70 mph when a deer ran out less than 8 feet in front of me, maybe even 5 feet. Before I even had time to let off the throttle, came the smash of the bike hitting the deer squarely in the side. I went flying off the bike but wasn't in the air for too long. I tumbled and slid down the road and came to a stop maybe 40 or 50 ft down the road. I immediately jumped up and ran off to the left median so I could get out of the way of oncoming cars.

All of the cars directly behind me saw what happened stopped to get out and help me out. As I was sitting up against the guardrail I didn't actually feel too bad. My fingertips hurt like hell, so much so that I couldn't really touch anything. I can only imagine that they smashed up against the brake and clutch levers as I left the bike. As I type some of my fingers are still bruised.

The deer was killed on impact. It landed on the right side of the road, some of its organs ended up in the middle of the road, and blood went all over the place. There were flecks of blood on my visor, blood on my pants, blood on my boots, blood on my backpack, and a ton of blood on the bike. The bike came to rest in the ditch on the left. I didn't get a good chance to take a look at it but from what I saw every fairing on it was smashed, and everything on the front was gone except for the forks and handlebars.

Someone called an ambulance, but to be honest I didn't feel bad at all. When the paramedics arrived I almost told them I didn't need help but the EMT told me I should probably get checked out to make sure I don't have any spinal injuries. They put on a neck brace and strapped me to a backboard to take me to the ER. It took awhile, but I finally got the cat scan and x-rays and they all came back negative. Only damage I needed medical attention for was a nickel-sized gash taken out of my right elbow. That was the only place where my gear really failed, and it was because my elbow pads shifted enough to let some of the road take a bite out of my elbow.

My gear definitely made the difference. Had I not been geared up I probably would've spent a few nights in the hospital and a lot of permanent disfigurement. I don't have pics of the scene but hopefully I'll be able to get that from the State trooper that came to document the accident.

I talked to Progressive and they'll reimburse me for my gear, and I imagine the bike will be totalled so I'll get the NADA value for it (minus the deductible). Here are pics of my gear:

[Image: helmet.jpg]

[Image: backpack.jpg]

[Image: gloves_left.jpg]

[Image: gloves_palm.jpg]

[Image: jacket.jpg]

[Image: pants_front.jpg]

[Image: pants_closeup.jpg]

[Image: suit_pants.jpg]

[Image: suitpants_blood.jpg]

[Image: boots.jpg]
2018 Ducati Panigale V4

Past: 2018 Honda Civic Type-R, 2015 Yamaha R1, 2009 BMW M3, 2013 Aprilia RSV4R, 2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2012 Ducati 1199, 2009 Subaru WRX, 2008 CBR1000RR, 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2000 Toyota Tundra, 2005 Honda CBR600RR, 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, 1997 Honda Civic EX

http://www.aclr8.com
Holy shit bud. Glad you are alright though. Good to hear no real damage to you. Poor ducati.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
2004 Honda S2000
2001 F-150 4X4 6" lift on 37" tires
2007 GSX-R 600
2008 SX-R 800

1992 (slammed by PO) 240sx Coupe (SOLD)
1999 BMW POS ///M3(SOLD)
1998 Honda Civic EX beater (SOLD)
Like I said in the other thread, I'm really glad you are alright and were wearing proper protective clothing. Take care of yourself and heal up.
pretty sobering. seriously though, glad you're OK. i can't imagine how long those seconds before impact must have felt.
2010 Civic Si
2019 4Runner TRD Off-Road
--------------------------
Past:  03 Xterra SE 4x4  |  05 Impreza 2.5RS  |  99.5 A4 Quattro 1.8T  |  01 Accord EX  |  90 Maxima GXE  |  96 Explorer XLT
Are those Sidi B-Ones?

I'm having a hard time processing this one. You don't generally think of the highway as a dangerous place, what with traffic all going the same direction at the same speed and no real stopping.... but the idea of something happening at those speeds is, yeah, like Scotty said, sobering. I'm glad you're OK.

Have you given any thought to street riding since the incident? Or perhaps the better question is: have you reached any conclusions? Your incident gives me pause and makes me wonder, especially as the shine of "OMG MOTORCYCLE" wore off a very long time ago and is often replaced by feelings of inconvenience, if it's worth that sort of risk. My hubris lets me shrug off the threats of other drivers and the like, but a reminder of the range of circumstances so totally beyond your control and skill that may end this way is not ignorable.

Heal quickly.
When it comes to Ryan Jenkins, the story ends with me putting him in the wall.

2009 Speed Triple | 2006 DR-Z400SM | 1999 CBR600F4 | 1998 Jeep Cherokee

-Ginger
mmmm blood everywhere. Glad it wasn't yours. Will you at least get some deer jerky out of the deal? :dunno:
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a van is a good guy with a van
Oh Deer!

Really, really glad you are ok man. Did it all happen in slow motion or was it "riding one minute, on the ground the next?"

Did you have visions of the underside of a semi as you were sliding down I66? I'm glad you were able to hop off the side of the road quickly.

I also think a lesson learned for me is the importance of fitting equipment - not that yours didn't fit - but now I just have a real data point for why it HAS to stay put.

Props on a great story too. I think this takes you to a whole new level of riding authority. ;-).
http://www.85xr.com

1985 Merkur XR4Ti Track Car
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
E46 BMW 330Ci Sport 5spd
1973 Honda CL125S
1985 Honda CX500
2013 Arctic Cat 700 ATV
2017 Onewheel +
Glad you are okay G! As someone that has also hit a deer on a motorcycle (not at the speed) I can say it will wake you up. If you need anything let me know.
#99 - 2000 Civic Si (Future H2 Car, Former H1 car)
IPGparts.com, AutoFair Honda, Amsoil, QuikLatch Fasteners
NASA-MA Tech Inspector (Retired)
yeah man, glad your injuries were no worse, and kudos to you for having a brain in your head and wearing the right gear. only had 2 close calls on my bike, both which ended well, but i think of all the idiotic times i'd ride in shorts/t-shirt thinking i was invincible....

if only you'd had a gopro on, you could be a youtube sensation right now.
Glad you're OK, G.

That's gotta be unsettling.
1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442
Jeez. I can't even imagine.

Really glad the safety gear did its job and that you're OK. Sucks that the bike is screwed up, but that can be replaced.
Just, wow. Glad you came out of it OK, with everything that was in play, it's nothing short of amazing.
Current: 1985 LS1 Corvette | 2014 328i Wagon F31
Former: 2010 Ford Edge | 1999 Integra GS
I have a little bit of a rub near lock but if you are turned to lock on a track there are other problems already...
Ginger Wrote:Are those Sidi B-Ones?

I'm having a hard time processing this one. You don't generally think of the highway as a dangerous place, what with traffic all going the same direction at the same speed and no real stopping.... but the idea of something happening at those speeds is, yeah, like Scotty said, sobering. I'm glad you're OK.

Quote:Have you given any thought to street riding since the incident? Or perhaps the better question is: have you reached any conclusions? Your incident gives me pause and makes me wonder, especially as the shine of "OMG MOTORCYCLE" wore off a very long time ago and is often replaced by feelings of inconvenience, if it's worth that sort of risk. My hubris lets me shrug off the threats of other drivers and the like, but a reminder of the range of circumstances so totally beyond your control and skill that may end this way is not ignorable.
I've thought about things but my take for now is that more often than not it is either handlebar actuator malfunction that leads to crashes, or putting yourself in a bad spot that leads to a cage driver violating your right of way. So that aspect hasn't scared me off from riding on the street.

Drunk drivers are a very big danger but I don't ride a whole lot at night when I'm more likely to encounter them. Deer are one of the true wildcards because they can pop up from where there's no way to see them and there's no rhyme or reason as to when they'll run out.

With my incident there a couple of things that may have been avoidable:
  • Deer are most active in early morning and at dusk
  • That area has some deer crossing signs (albeit further up the road)
  • Maybe I could've spotted the deer on the side of the road from farther away
  • Should've stuck to the left lane, in this case deer would've hit me in the side or missed completely. With more buffer I may have had more time to react. On the other hand, if a deer hit me in the side while I was in the left lane I could've flown into the median, which could've been a lot worse as far as broken bones.

The big thing though is to have good gear and wear it. Had I been wearing jeans my legs definitely would've gotten fucked up (on jean days I'll wear armored riding jeans). I didn't have a back protector on, but my hardshell backpack protected my back. Had it gotten ripped off or something I could've fucked up my back. Probably should zip my jacket into my pants too.

Also, as soon as it becomes practical I want to buy an airbag jacket. There are some airbag vests right now that I'll try to check out.
2018 Ducati Panigale V4

Past: 2018 Honda Civic Type-R, 2015 Yamaha R1, 2009 BMW M3, 2013 Aprilia RSV4R, 2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2012 Ducati 1199, 2009 Subaru WRX, 2008 CBR1000RR, 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2000 Toyota Tundra, 2005 Honda CBR600RR, 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, 1997 Honda Civic EX

Ginger Wrote:Are those Sidi B-Ones?
Sidi Coooooobbbrrraaaaasss!

BLINGMW Wrote:mmmm blood everywhere. Glad it wasn't yours. Will you at least get some deer jerky out of the deal? :dunno:
I wish I could've mounted that fucking deer's head on my wall but I didn't have a sawzall with me.

PDenbigh Wrote:Oh Deer!

Really, really glad you are ok man. Did it all happen in slow motion or was it "riding one minute, on the ground the next?"
No, it happened lightning fast. I saw the deer and a fraction of a second later was the bang and the sound of abs plastic exploding into a thousand pieces. I don't even remember flying through the air, just the impact then me tumbling and sliding on the ground.

Quote:Did you have visions of the underside of a semi as you were sliding down I66? I'm glad you were able to hop off the side of the road quickly.
No visions, just the thought of "I need to get the fuck off the road!"

Quote:I also think a lesson learned for me is the importance of fitting equipment - not that yours didn't fit - but now I just have a real data point for why it HAS to stay put.
Yeah I don't know if I could've prevented my elbow pad from sliding around a little bit. The solution I'm thinking of is simply to get a mesh jacket that has leather arms so the road doesn't wear through the arm in the first place. I still need something that breathes so I don't get cooked in the summer (although getting a bike that doesn't radiate heat like a furnace will help).

Quote:Props on a great story too. I think this takes you to a whole new level of riding authority. ;-).
At least I didn't crash doing something stupid I guess.

davej Wrote:yeah man, glad your injuries were no worse, and kudos to you for having a brain in your head and wearing the right gear. only had 2 close calls on my bike, both which ended well, but i think of all the idiotic times i'd ride in shorts/t-shirt thinking i was invincible....
Yeah I always wear my jacket and boots with jeans at the least. Now I'll be wearing armored jeans.

Quote:if only you'd had a gopro on, you could be a youtube sensation right now.
I've been thinking about hooking up some sort of video setup but just haven't gotten around to it. If I can find something that is low fuss I'll definitely install it.
2018 Ducati Panigale V4

It's awesome how well your gear held up in the face of all that carnage. I'm sorry for the loss of your bike though, and I'm glad you're okay. Also, it's sweet that Progressive will reimburse you for your gear too.... may look into switching insurance companies when I get back on two wheels.
2008 4Runner
1974 CB360
2015 FJ09
Tyler.M Wrote:It's awesome how well your gear held up in the face of all that carnage. I'm sorry for the loss of your bike though, and I'm glad you're okay. Also, it's sweet that Progressive will reimburse you for your gear too.... may look into switching insurance companies when I get back on two wheels.

Most will I believe or I thought at least. I know almost all have to do it if the accident isn't your fault. Like your helmet is in the back of your car and someone hits you and you say it bounced around, new helmet!

2004 Honda S2000
2007 GSX-R 600
2008 SX-R 800

1999 BMW POS ///M3(SOLD)
Here's some pics from the insurance adjuster. As expected, totalled.

[Image: 1199-frontleft.jpg]

[Image: 1199-frontright.jpg]

[Image: 1199-rear.jpg]
2018 Ducati Panigale V4

Holy shit.

edit: You gonna try to buy it back? engine is probably still good.
1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442
CaptainHenreh Wrote:Holy shit.

Get the motor and somehow stick it in Channing's 2002. :twisted:
Now: 07 Porsche Cayman S | 18 VW Tiguan

Then: 18 VW GTI Autobahn | 95 BMW M3 | 15 VW GTI SE | 12 Kia Optima SX | 2009 VW GTI | 00 BMW 540i Sport | 90 Mazda Miata | 94 Yamaha FZR600R | 1993 Suzuki GS500E | 2003 BMW 325i | 95 Saab 900S

CaptainHenreh Wrote:Holy shit.

How much? We have the technology. We can rebuild her.

2004 Honda S2000
2007 GSX-R 600
2008 SX-R 800

1999 BMW POS ///M3(SOLD)