Mikey's '97 VFR
I'm so scared Sad
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
I was too, trust me. I finally figured that they're not gonna clean themselves, and if carbs were the shizzle back in the 70's, they can't be THAT complex. Not to mention there's probably somebody readily available that can put it back together if you F it up that bad :-).
  Reply
awwwww exciting! guy on ebay is currently parting out a couple bikes... he has pretty everything i need (plus i'd end up with a bunch of spare bolts and such)! and it looks like it'll only cost about $350! wahooooooo!
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
So yeah, my asshole self fell asleep an hour before bidding ended... I intended on staying awake, but I don't know what happened. I really enjoy throwing money away.
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
What do you think your overall savings will be by delaying rebuilding for 18 months? More than depreciation in that time?
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944

"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
  Reply
don't know, don't care. fact of it is i don't feel like putting 1k in to the bike right now.
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
mounted up the busted old headlight this weekend. aside from a windscreen and a single small headlight cover, she looks perfect again. of course, underneath she's missing a lot of mounting hardware, but everything is solid. so i put a few miles in this weekend. starting to run much better, but still idling too low to stay alive. temporary (until i can take it in for a tune or bride rj) is to just ride around with the choke opened (or closed??) a tiny bit.

edit: what's up with people bidding used parts higher than they go for new?
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
Aight, so before I even think about doing anything more than around the block or picking up groceries (also around the block) or even selling it, I need new tires. Opinions?

I remember VFR guys being hot on some Metzelers way back when I cared about this shit, but VFRD is running slower than MM right now so I'm here to poll the brain that it MM.

Tire sizes are: 120/70/17 and 170/60/17

edit: I'll likely be selling the bike (and picking up something simple/more common) once I grab the final few parts so I'm not going for something big buck here.

edit #2: VFRD sped up. Metzeler Z6. Yay? Nay?

edit #3: where to buy? denniskirk.com looks cheapest?
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
beautiful afternoon to ride. logged some miles in the scenic parts of dc. still have that goofy stuttering with a partial throttle. gonna take it to crossroads cycle when my tires come in for an inspection and tune-up. then i swear i'll get the one part i need and sell it. carbs ftl... so smelly.
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
If you want to switch to have something more common for parts, that makes sense. All the major players' bikes are a hassle on, though, and carbs aren't inherently bad. I'm perfectly happy with the carb on my sumo, and I had better luck with the carbs on my F4 than both the guys I know that have F4i's. Once they're set up right, you won't have any problems. Unless you let it sit for long periods of time.
When it comes to Ryan Jenkins, the story ends with me putting him in the wall.

2009 Speed Triple | 2006 DR-Z400SM | 1999 CBR600F4 | 1998 Jeep Cherokee

-Ginger
  Reply
I think crossroads cycles is the shop that f'ed up Kaan's bike.

Unfortunately, I dont really have any other recommendations on where to take it... if you want to take the carbs off and bring them over I'll go through them with you though.
(09-25-2019, 03:18 PM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: I think you need to see a mental health professional.
  Reply
I heard crossroads is great for tire mounting as compared to coleman's. I'm sure the carb thing is simple... I'll bring over some PBR if I can find it. No easier if I just bring the whole bike over?

As far as not wanting a carb'd bike, it's not because I'm scared of them or it's not running perfectly right now... It's because I reek of gas after riding the damned thing.
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
That's more likely a problem with the carb set up than the fact than an inherent carb problem. I don't smell of fuel going anywhere.
When it comes to Ryan Jenkins, the story ends with me putting him in the wall.

2009 Speed Triple | 2006 DR-Z400SM | 1999 CBR600F4 | 1998 Jeep Cherokee

-Ginger
  Reply
Mike Wrote:No easier if I just bring the whole bike over?

Not for me :lol:
(09-25-2019, 03:18 PM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: I think you need to see a mental health professional.
  Reply
.RJ Wrote:
Mike Wrote:No easier if I just bring the whole bike over?

Not for me :lol:

Tongue Well I don't know how to mess with these little motors that are hidden under all this shit. I'm gonna bring the bike over :twisted: You know you want to hear/ride the V4 goodness.
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
Taking the carbs off shouldnt be very hard - remove the tank, air box and loosen the clamps that hold the carbs to the little rubber things between the carbs and the cylinder heads. Use a long screwdriver to pop them off the engine and then take the throttle/choke cables off. You should be able to do this in under an hour. They most likely it just needs the jets/air metering holes cleaned/blown out, its likely one of them has gotten clogged up and its running a bit rich - I would certainly recommend changing the plugs too (NGK's from the dealer).
(09-25-2019, 03:18 PM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: I think you need to see a mental health professional.
  Reply
It runs!

Still needs a new battery, definitely needs the carbs cleaned.

I pulled the tank... that was easy!
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
I'm all for a good ol' boy shop... but when you show up 2 hours before closing and EVERYONE at the shop is drinking a 40oz out front... something is up.

they had to be completely rebuilt and adjusted after it went in for an adjustment.... AND i found the main fuse short within 5 minutes of looking the bike over... they had the bike for 2 weeks and couldnt find it.
#99 - 2000 Civic Si (Future H2 Car, Former H1 car)
IPGparts.com, AutoFair Honda, Amsoil, QuikLatch Fasteners
NASA-MA Tech Inspector (Retired)
  Reply
Kaan Wrote:I'm all for a good ol' boy shop... but when you show up 2 hours before closing and EVERYONE at the shop is drinking a 40oz out front... something is up.

they had to be completely rebuilt and adjusted after it went in for an adjustment.... AND i found the main fuse short within 5 minutes of looking the bike over... they had the bike for 2 weeks and couldnt find it.

whut?
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
thats when i picked up my bike at Crossroads
#99 - 2000 Civic Si (Future H2 Car, Former H1 car)
IPGparts.com, AutoFair Honda, Amsoil, QuikLatch Fasteners
NASA-MA Tech Inspector (Retired)
  Reply


Forum Jump: