09-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Ya, some of the more popular rotary polishers used by pro detailers include the Dewalt 849, the Makita 9227C, Porter Cable 7428, and the Hitachi SP18VA 7". I purchased the Metabo PE 12-175 because of it's ultralightweight design. The Metabo is supposedly 2-4 lbs lighter than the Polishers I mentioned above. It is supposedly almost identical in weight to the Porter Cable 7424 Orbital Polisher. People might say that small difference in weight is meaningless, but after multiple hours of using a machine, going up and down body panels hundreds of times begins to turn into a workout. Heck, this summer I lost 10 lbs and I owe it to detailing! But I didn't want to lose that weight cuz I'm skinny enough. The PC 7424 is still an essential part of any detailer's arsenal because it can be used with substantially less risk on cars that don't need a rotary.
