06-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Mike Wrote:white_2kgt Wrote:Mike Wrote:i was just correcting your choice of words... any stock setup has enough power (if you can lock the tires, that is all the power you need). an upgraded braking system is to dissipate heat and reduce fade. a mutli piston setup also has other advantages, but "power" is not really worth noting.
Locking up your brakes doesn't really slow you down. You need modulation as well, you need to be able to get right on the edge of locking up the tires. Most stock setup's can't do this, you are usually stopping with 70-80% efficiency, with a (proper) upgraded setup you can get closer to 100.
i don't follow. why can't you hold a stock setup at 99% until you're slowed? i highly doubt a stock setup will fade in a single stop.
Its not really fade, more modulation, I can't control a hard stop on them with R compound tires. With the larger calipers I have now I can just fine. And yes, with Carbotech's and R compounds I could fade the stock setup in 2 laps at summit, 11" rotors stopping 3400lbs SUCKS.
