(03-12-2019, 05:44 PM)GTBrandon Wrote: I guess I'm curious why all of you say it's easy to get trapped in a job or location? I hear everyone say that you should just move around to a new job if you want a raise or new role, maybe that's harder than it seems?
When you start building your life in one spot you're developing friends and possibly a relationship with a SO in that area it will make things more difficult to leave. Also once you start making money consistently I also find that breaking that to do something you want where the income flow is paused indefinitely is also difficult. Buying property also makes things more difficult. None of that makes it impossible to move, it just may feel more difficult in the future than you think it will be at this moment. I don't think any of that 'traps' you, but I think that's the idea you build in your mind.
(03-12-2019, 05:44 PM)GTBrandon Wrote: My big thing with moving is that I feel like there is no reason to move other than curiosity, but maybe that's all the reason I need. I just don't want to regret leaving the DC/Nova area since there are obviously so many opportunities and high paying roles available. I guess I just don't know why I want to move, I just grew up here all my life and think I'd regret it if I didn't.
Curiosity is not a bad reason to move; its a sense of adventure. While it may not be a good fiscal reason it could be a good mental reason. If you think you'd regret it then why not try the sooner you get out of college? You can always go back.
I sort of got the idea of moving out of my system because I traveled for work for 2/3 years after college. I stayed in many cities in the states for much of the year and that kind of gave me a taste of different areas. Not the same as moving, but I feel I got enough experience in many other places to get a feeling of what I liked and didn't like about certain aspects of living. It actually made me appreciate where I lived a little more. It also made me realize which areas I could definitely move to and where I would definitely avoid.
'19 Golf R
Intro
J Ray's Top Ten
Previous: '99 BMW Z3 2.8L | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | 2010 VW GTI | 2008 CBR 600RR | 2005 Nissan Titan SE King | 2003 Honda CBR 600RR | 1998 Integra RS | 1998 Suzuki GS500e | 1999 Honda Civic Si | 1986 VW GTI 8v
Intro
J Ray's Top Ten
Previous: '99 BMW Z3 2.8L | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | 2010 VW GTI | 2008 CBR 600RR | 2005 Nissan Titan SE King | 2003 Honda CBR 600RR | 1998 Integra RS | 1998 Suzuki GS500e | 1999 Honda Civic Si | 1986 VW GTI 8v
