The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1669 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.2.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1669 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 915 buildtree




What hobbies do you have OTHER than cars?
#47
I wouldn't say this is a hobby yet but I was at the Omni in Dallas for a convention, killing time in the coffee / gift shop and came across a few Metal Earth 3D models. What caught my eye was a '65 Mustang model. They basically come in a flat package of 1-2 metal laser cut sheets with all of the parts.

They come as this:
[Image: FMW.jpg]
And build into this:
[Image: mustang-fascinations-metal-model-kit-.jpg]

I bought this one on Amazon to try it out:
[Image: %24_35.JPG]
[Image: 680937.jpg]

I haven't really built or worked with models since I was a kid (I think I painted up a bunch of Warhammer models or something when I was like 10) but I thought it would be cool to build and keep on my office desk. The Amazon reviews seemed to mention that this was a fairly tough model to start on but whatever I started it over the weekend. A few hours in (while distracted watching the Wells Fargo championship) and I got the entire body and base built! I wouldn't say that it is hard per say but if you are not detail oriented or patient this is probably not for you. These play perfectly with my mild OCD so I have found it enjoyable so far. The entire model goes together with a tab and groove system so no glue is required. The tabs are bent at 90* angles to secure each part and it actually works pretty well. You definitely need at least one set of tweezers and a magnifying lens might be helpful although I preferred to build it without one. The pieces are TINY, like you really need to take care when bending some of them. I also picked up an exacto knife to help cut the metal tabs that hold each piece in place.

The only hiccup so far was I realized that I sealed off the body before I was supposed to attach it to the base so I actually ended up using some super glue to secure it. I feel like I would have done more harm than good trying to rebend each tab and take it apart. Hopefully that holds hah! I'll try to remember to post up a picture when I'm done but if all else goes well it should look like the above picture!

They actually sell "4 packs" of these on Amazon so if this one goes well I might build a few more of these!:
[Image: 61ub362W4tL._SL1000_.jpg]

Yeah I might:
[Image: 41jbeyD5%2BPL.jpg]
Posting in the banalist of threads since 2004

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Past: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab / 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
  Reply


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump: