11-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Ok, so this thread is much less dead than the other one. Comcast told us we needed to upgrade our modem to their wireless model. So it arrived today. Currently we use a wired modem to an old (but still pretty reliable) linksys wr54g. It is wep protected with a hidden ssid and already setup. I have two new linksys routers (whatever the flat black one is) in the box. One of which I used at school, one i got as an eBay mistake (usps's fault) the wr54g needs to be reset maybe once or twice a month but some of those may actually be the modem so it works pretty damn well for a 12 year old router.
Ok, so my question is, how should I set this new modem up to maximize effectiveness. I was thinking of being lazy and just hard wiring it to the router and running it like it's not wireless. I don't really have any major dead zones and my phone actually picks up the router signal at the end of the block so even if it is possible, not sure it's worth doing a double signal setup. I probably wouldn't bother moving the router so they will both be in the same room. I don't have ethernet run downstairs and I'm not going to so that's not an option either. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary. I don't even use a gaming console or anything so speed isn't that critical right now.
TL;DR
Got a new modem with wireless capability but also have a decent wireless router already setup. What's the best/easiest way to set the network up now?
Ok, so my question is, how should I set this new modem up to maximize effectiveness. I was thinking of being lazy and just hard wiring it to the router and running it like it's not wireless. I don't really have any major dead zones and my phone actually picks up the router signal at the end of the block so even if it is possible, not sure it's worth doing a double signal setup. I probably wouldn't bother moving the router so they will both be in the same room. I don't have ethernet run downstairs and I'm not going to so that's not an option either. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary. I don't even use a gaming console or anything so speed isn't that critical right now.
TL;DR
Got a new modem with wireless capability but also have a decent wireless router already setup. What's the best/easiest way to set the network up now?
2004 Honda S2000
2001 F-150 4X4 6" lift on 37" tires
2007 GSX-R 600
2008 SX-R 800
1992 (slammed by PO) 240sx Coupe (SOLD)
1999 BMW POS ///M3(SOLD)
1998 Honda Civic EX beater (SOLD)
2001 F-150 4X4 6" lift on 37" tires
2007 GSX-R 600
2008 SX-R 800
1992 (slammed by PO) 240sx Coupe (SOLD)
1999 BMW POS ///M3(SOLD)
1998 Honda Civic EX beater (SOLD)
