07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Im not a big laptop user, when it comes to getting some actual work done (read: code) I vastly prefer the 2 27" monitors and real keyboard in my office to hunching over a dinky screen and laptop keyboard/medieval torture device, but its a necessity to have one while travelling and a nice to have around the house on the coffee table.
My old single core gateway 11" laptop has been a soldier but with some travelling in the coming months it was high time to upgrade. I ran across a deal on a Lenovo Yoga for over 60% off so I jumped on it and couldnt be happier, especially for the price.
looks just like this
![[Image: Lenovo-Yoga-IdeaPad-004.jpg]](http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Lenovo-Yoga-IdeaPad-004.jpg)
Its a thin&light ultraportable 'ultrabook' and i wont bore you with the details. its thin, light, very portable, has a touchscreen and great battery life. Its super fast and boots in an unreal amount of time. instant on from sleep and sub 10 seconds from hibernate. great screen, solid keyboard, multitouch touchpad blah blah blah.
and yeah, it has double hinges so it folds around into 'tent' and 'tablet' mode, but I bought this as a laptop, so i have no real expectations to use it as a 'convertible'. any use of it in alternate modes is a bonus.
honestly, the biggest game changer is the touchscreen. its one of those at first you think "i dont need that in a laptop" until you have it and use it, its so seamless and speeds up everything you do. especially with an OS like windows 8 that is built with touch interface in mind.
make no mistake, win 8 does take some (lot) getting used to, but I think MS is doing a good job bridging the current/past desktop environment with next gen touch centric and mobile interfaces.
(but Im still keeping 7 on my desktop)
My old single core gateway 11" laptop has been a soldier but with some travelling in the coming months it was high time to upgrade. I ran across a deal on a Lenovo Yoga for over 60% off so I jumped on it and couldnt be happier, especially for the price.
looks just like this
![[Image: Lenovo-Yoga-IdeaPad-004.jpg]](http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Lenovo-Yoga-IdeaPad-004.jpg)
Its a thin&light ultraportable 'ultrabook' and i wont bore you with the details. its thin, light, very portable, has a touchscreen and great battery life. Its super fast and boots in an unreal amount of time. instant on from sleep and sub 10 seconds from hibernate. great screen, solid keyboard, multitouch touchpad blah blah blah.
and yeah, it has double hinges so it folds around into 'tent' and 'tablet' mode, but I bought this as a laptop, so i have no real expectations to use it as a 'convertible'. any use of it in alternate modes is a bonus.
honestly, the biggest game changer is the touchscreen. its one of those at first you think "i dont need that in a laptop" until you have it and use it, its so seamless and speeds up everything you do. especially with an OS like windows 8 that is built with touch interface in mind.
make no mistake, win 8 does take some (lot) getting used to, but I think MS is doing a good job bridging the current/past desktop environment with next gen touch centric and mobile interfaces.
(but Im still keeping 7 on my desktop)
