08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Ryan T Wrote:Nice lookin shotty man! Any idea of the age of that gun? I never picked you for a flannel type guy though.
The internet says they were produced '54-'61. My dad says he remembers my grandfather having it when he was about 5 (born in '49) so I'd say it's at least 55 years old. The canvas/flannel case and the tube cleaning kit were originally my grandfather's as well.
I didn't even know it existed until a few months ago. Apparently my grandfather bought it to go hunting way back when and it sat in a closet both before and after his death in '91. My dad thought to track it down a few years ago and eventually found it with his brother-in-law. My dad never fired it or cleaned.
I took it apart last night and holy shit was that a bitch. I don't know if semis have come a long way in 50 years, I didn't have the right tools or I'm just a complete noob (or all three)... but it took me two hours to take it apart completely and get it back together. The good news is everything was in great shape, with only very minor wear on the moving parts and no rust. I'm gonna put it through it's paces in a few weeks and hope it doesn't blow up in my hands.
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944
"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
